View Single Post
Old
01-19-2010, 02:28 PM
Ciccarelli

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings4Life View Post
Sergei Fedorov has turned it on when facing Dinamo R, which is basically 80% of Team Latvia, the team Russia faces first in the Olympic games.

In 2 games against Dinamo R this season, Fedorov has 2 points and is a solid +2. I think he is motivated to show that he can chip on on the scoresheet come Olympics.

Why is this important? Well it's because of the way Olympic ranking works. The tiebreaker for teams will be goal differential. Every pool has 2 'bad' (or 'mickey mouse') teams in it, except Russia's pool, which only has 1 bad team (Latvia). This means it is very important to blow the weaker opposition out of the water.

Of course, Fedorov has worse linemates in Metallurg than he will have in the Olympics, and his line on Metallurg faced Dinamo R's top sutdown defensive pairing. That same defensive pairing, along with the 2 NHL defensemen that Latvia has, will be matched against Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Datsyuk, Malkin, etc.

This will leave Russia's 3rd and 4th lines more room against lower level defenceman, and will hopefully mean that Fedorov can contribute as a secondary scorer in the very important game 1 of the Olympics...very important to win by a large margin, that is.
I think you might be underrating Latvia a bit here. After all that's a team that has been playing together this whole season. I don't think it will be a blowout for Russia (as it wouldn't be for any other team either).

Ciccarelli is offline   Reply With Quote