Thread: Line Combos: Gagne - Richards - Giroux
View Single Post
Old
01-21-2010, 10:51 AM
mikedifr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
#1 A moron is a person who chooses to move our top scorer for an overpaid 3rd liner like Stoll and prospects. You want to save cap space by acquiring a 3rd line C who makes $3.6???

#2 No way no how should Carter be moved regardless. Even in this cap world, Carter MUST be kept. He is the kinda guy who plays well even if he had crap linemates (anyone see how Hartnell has played when he isn't in the paint?).

#3 IF we decide to keep Giroux on this team (which I support), he will need to prove he can play a wingers role at some point. The same position he was drafted at and played most of his career. I have ZERO problem employing a Pittsburgh system and rolling out 3 lines with Giroux, Richards and Carter if we have too, even if we sacrifice Gagne or Hartnell to do it. Ideally Giroux would improve and look better on the wing, otherwise I have no issue letting him or Richie center a third line with Giroux at C on the PP and Richie on point. Sounds perfect.

In Lavi's system, players literally swap positions up front, which may be part of the reason for Carter's resurgence as Hartnell has been able to sit in front of the net and Carter and Briere are allowed to roam a lot more. I don't see why not Giroux and Richards can't click if given more time. Even if they don't, I still run 3 good Centers.

Gagne-Richards-Powe sniper/playmaker/checker
Hartnell-Carter-Briere power forward and checker/sniper/playmaker
JVR-Giroux-Asham power forward and sniper/playmaker/checker
Carcillo-Betts-Lappy grind grind grind

is very good in my honest opinion. I love the idea of getting some good checking on each line, yet I do cringe watching some of Powe's shots. That's another story though. I say we tell Gagne that if he is unwilling to take a pay cut, we would likely have to move him. He is good defensively and has a nose for the net, but he can be more easily replaced in my opinion then Giroux, Richards or Carter IMHO.

Giroux, Richards and Carter dominate the puck and just need roleplayers. Gagne is a role player, granted a VERY good one, but still a role player. He can't make his own chances.
Wow, you are completely missing the point. You are arguing with someone that agrees with you 100% (which makes no sense).....I just happen to be thinking big picture, and what the team MIGHT decide to do in the future. Its called hypothetical. Unless Holmgren all of a sudden becomes the most creative GM ever, because of the ridiculous cap situation, one of Hartnell or Carter is most likely gone next year. Briere or Gagne the following year, I am simply saying what I would do if Carter was the one moved because you seriously deplete your size up the middle.

I am all for Grioux being on the wing, I have been saying that for the entire year now, go back and read some of my posts. However, it is obvious that unless Richards changes his game somewhat, the two of them do not work.

If the team decides to get rid of Briere instead of Carter and move Giroux to that spot, fine, that works too. However, Giroux and JVR are only going to be able to be on the "3rd line" for so long before we have to give them a **** load of money. Something has to give.

I still say getting rid of Hartnell is a mistake....Our top 9 becomes HORRIBLY soft without him unless you are replacing him with another powerforward and where are we getting that without spending the same amount of money?

The Pens may do the 3 center thing, and I am not opposed to that at all, however, several key differences between us and the Pens...we are built two completely different ways

1) Their top 2 are ELITE players! Richards and Carter, while I love them both, are not the caliber of Malkin/Crosby.
2) Staal came into the NHL essentially already an elite shutdown center which is something we dont have. Hence why I said if Carter was moved, and if we go with Richards and Giroux as our top two centers than we need to replace Carter's size in the middle and get someone with shut down ability.
3) They have an elite goalie as well.

You are debating/arguing with the wrong person, and you contradict yourself completely on top of that. You claim I am a moron for wanting to move our top center for an overpaid third line center, HOWEVER, you ignore the fact that I was not talking about a 1-1 trade....and 2, you claim you dont want a "3rd center" making $3.6 million......What the hell do you think Staal is making on Pitt??? And why do think Maxim Talbot was a top 6 winger last year??? And if you continue to go with Giroux/Carter/Richards up the middle and Giroux starts scoring like we know he can he will make at least $3.6 within a couple years, and Carter is certainly going to get an increase from $5.....Which means, you are going to have to completely change the way this team is built and eliminate salary from our wingers like Pittsburgh has done.....However, our top two centers dont carry the team like theirs do and our goalie position is nowhere near theirs.

Its apples vs. oranges.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote