View Single Post
Old
09-24-2003, 09:13 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet
I saw Buturlin play about 5 or 6 times when he was with Sarnia. He is actually more of a two way player than an offensive player. I would say his top end potential in the NHL would probably be as a 3rd liner as his skills, while better than average are really not good enough to allow him to be a consistent scoring threat in the NHL. The main concern with Buturlin is his straight ahead speed and lack of size (common themes in Montreal). The good news is that Buturlin is known to have a good work ethic and was considered a leader in the Sarnia dressing room.

The funny thing about watching Buturlin in Sarnia was it was hard to take your eyes off another Sting player who at the time was undrafted.That player was Eric Himelfarb , who by no coincidence was drafted the following spring by Montreal. Himelfarb has since been let go (in my opinion desevedly so) after a couple of disappointing seasons in Barrie.
Montreal never actually tendered a contract offer to Buturlin as there was no reason to force the issue because Buturlin was drafted while he was still in Russia. Buturlin chose to go back to Russia instead of returning to Sarnia as an overager.

From what I hear he's bulked up some in Lada. Playing on the top line for 2 seasons in the RSL should help his game out a lot. Don't know if we will ever see him over here though.