Thread: Larry Brooks: Why the hate against Larry?
View Single Post
Old
01-22-2010, 11:32 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
5- Brooks NEVER played the sport of hockey. He never coached the sport of hockey. He does not know ANYTHING about the sport of hockey. Sure, he may write articles and interview people... however, he NEVER played, he never once put the skates on, he didn't hang around rinks as a kid, he couldn't tell you what the best equipment is, he couldn't tell you what a radius on a runner is, he couldn't tell you what a stick lie is, he couldn't tell you what an umbrella is, or what Russian circles are...he couldn't tell you ANYTHING about the SPORT of hockey.
I'm not even going to respond to the rest of the nonsense in this post, but this is really ridiculous.

I would say that MOST of the people that I've played hockey with during my life don't understand a thing about hockey. They know all about the equipment, but I'll be damned if they could explain proper positioning or strategy.

Heck, you don't have to look very far to see that there are plenty of players in the NHL that don't really understand these things, but I'm sure all of those guys could tell you all about which chin guards and elbow pads are the most comfortable.

None of that information is integral to understanding the core concepts of the sport, or for analyzing the sport. Larry Brooks is far from the first sports beat writer or sports columnist to cover a sport he never played. Ken Hitchcock never played hockey, but he coached a team to the Stanley Cup.

Growing up, I learned more about hockey from a sickly neighbor of mine who was confined to crutches and wheelchairs for most of his life than I ever did from ANYONE that I ever played hockey with.

EDIT: And I'll have you know that I'm not the biggest Brooks fan. Sometimes his opinions really rub me the wrong way, too. But he CLEARLY did nothing wrong last night, and the enormous hate some people have for him is ridiculous.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote