View Single Post
Old
01-22-2010, 04:03 PM
Seth Lake

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Whoa, are you guys serious???

No, Arnott has taken a step back and isn't the same player he was when he first arrived, but anyone thinking he wasn't going to age is fooling themselves...

Arnott is playing through a couple of injuries right now and while it is hampering his play, neither will heal until maybe the Olympic Break, but more likely not until the offseason. While he isn't playing like a dominant physical force out there, I don't think that has ever been his MO and has actually been a criticism of him throughout his career...

Entering this season, Arnott couldn't be considered a true No. 1 center in the league anymore. Rather, it was Arnott as a 1a and Legwand a 1b type of situation where both were likely to push 18-20 minutes a night and be called upon to face the opposition's top line depending on the opposition's center. Arnott provides us with a big body to play against the Joe Thornton's and Ryan Getzlaf's of the league, while Legwand matches up against the more speedy and skilled centers of the league like Jonathan Toews and Paul Stastny.

We don't have a No. 1 center and probably haven't for at least a season, but by no means does that mean that we're gonna go out and acquire someone to fill that role, nor does it mean we're going to jettison anyone, nor strip Arnott of his captaincy. What has he done to deserve that???

Colin Wilson is our homegrown solution to our future No. 1 center and until he proves that he is ready for that job, both Arnott and Legwand will be called upon to fill that role in the interm. Only if Wilson proves that he is not a solution there will we go out and try to sign another veteran to serve as a No. 1 center.

What will we do moving forward this season? I think we'll continue to see Arnott out there as a scoring line center, we will continue to see the coaching staff work to match our centers defensively to generate an advantage, and we will continue to see several streaky players playing on our roster until they get healthy...

As for our future captain, it would be hard to argue with either Weber or Suter as leading candidates, but I think Legwand might be in the mix there as well. This really isn't a question I think that'll be pondered internally until next offseason after Arnott's contract has expired...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote