View Single Post
Old
09-24-2003, 10:14 AM
Mizral

vCash: 500
Toronto/Detroit proposal

This will no doubt get some interesting reactions. However, it makes a lot of sense:

To Detroit: Nikolai Antropov (settle down, Leaf fans, bear with me here) & Aki Berg

To Toronto: Jiri Fischer (settle down, Wings fans, bear with me here) & Matthew Dandenault

Antropov clearly solves the 2nd line centre issue in Detroit, for now and the future. Berg seems like the sort of player who could use a ticket out of Toronto. He could learn a lot from his countryman, Lidstrom. Lots of untapped potential in Berg that perhaps he could find on a winning squad in Detroit.

Toronto really shores up their blueline big time here. Fischer is a very, very big, steady blueliner who could very be paired up with just about any defenseman up or down the roster. Dandenault is an extremely smart veteran defenseman with puck moving ability (which outside of Kaberle, I feel the Leafs lack.. a smart puck mover).

A bit of risk for each team, but I feel this kind of move turns the Leafs back into contenders for Lord Stanley's Mug, and Detroit, stronger again. The main issue here is, I would say, that the Leafs and Wings, while not division or even conference rivals, seem to be rivals anyways.