View Single Post
Old
01-22-2010, 07:56 PM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chootoi View Post
I don't disagree because we could always use more goals, but lets say we go out and make a big splash. Let's say for ***** and giggles we go out and land the biggest fish - Kovalchuk. You could pretty much cut his goal production in half when you put him in our lineup. Would it really be worth the price at that point? Even a guy like Nolan would be brought in for his worker mentality... not his scoring touch.

Tippet's system simply doesn't allow for a Chicago or Washington style offense - never mind the fact that we don't have the guns. We can roll 4 lines as good as any team in the league and keep the opposition in check, while guys like Lepisto and Erickson on the backend worry me. I'm not against bolstering the offense, but I think by solidifying the defense situation first, ya can't go wrong.
Yeah I see where you are coming from, but honestly if you think about it, there are some goal scorers that always find a way to score, no matter what team they are on. That's why I'm glad you brought up Kovy. Kovalchuk has found a way to be a top goal scorer every season over his career, even though he was surrounded by 2nd and 3rd tier talent. I'm not saying we should go and grab him, but someone who has consistently put up 30-35 goals a year would be considered a legitimate score, and someone who can play in nearly any environment. Besides, we have a lot of talented passers on our squad who can get him the puck. So like I said, it depends on what we have to give up in order to get someone like that.

Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote