Thread: Prospect Info: Hartford Wolf Pack Off-Season Thread
View Single Post
Old
01-23-2010, 09:22 PM
squishy

vCash: 500
Freak bounce on a rim-around bounces right out front and traps Johnson behind the net, giving Springfield an empty net goal to tie things up 1-1 late in the third period. Then Williams loses Minard in OT, who walks in and scores on Johnson.

Springfield were tied for last in the league, but always play the Wolf Pack extremely hard. Pack were playing without two of three top scorers with Parenteau and Weise missing. Potter also missed his fifth game.

Early in the third Sanguinetti was hit a split second late in the neutral zone and fell backwards on his leg. He stayed down on the ice holding what looked like his knee. It didn't look good at all. The camera cut away, so I didn't see whether he got off on his own or was helped, but he didn't return to the game. Honestly, I'll be surprised if he didn't suffer a significant injury.

Unlike their big brothers, the Pack actually responded, and Nightingale immediately went after Paukovich for the hit, even though it meant an instigator and misconduct late in a 1-0 game. Williams then took an assanine slashing penalty to put the Pack down 2 men. But the Pack gutted it out, killing off the 5-on-3 despite only having three defensemen available.

Then Urquhart got in a fight, again leaving the Pack with just three defensemen for almost all of the final seven minutes of the game because there were no stoppages in play. Sauer was on the ice every other shift.

In OT Byers set Locke up for a point blank shot from the slot, but the Springfield goalie totally stoned him. Ex-Pack forward Chad Wiseman then carried the puck up ice and into the Wolf Pack zone along the left wing boards, where Heikinen rubbed him out. For some reason Williams decided to skate towards the boards, doubling up coverage on Wiseman, which left Minard wide open skating in between the circles. Wiseman hit him with a pass and he deked Johnson and put it away five-hole.

You can say the Pack should have beaten a last place team, but given the things they had going against them, I give them mad props for gutting out a point.

But maybe that's because I'm easily impressed by a team that shows some guts, since I've become accustomed to watching the Rangers play.