Thread: Proposal: Lucic + for Kovalchuck
View Single Post
Old
01-23-2010, 09:27 PM
BadBruins

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
The problem is that a guy making $4m and taking up salary cap space for a 30 goal scorer or a 20 minute defenseman shouldnt be getting the money because he takes 23 fighting penalties. There are guys that make the league minimum that can do that.
Yeah, but those guys making league minimum aren't capable of playing on a scoring line. Having Lucic ride shotgun with Savard and another skill player is a big advantage for the Bruins. Not only does he create a lot of space doing the dirty work in corners and using his size in the paint, but he also provides a level of protection. A guy like Marc Savard needs it too. He plays like a punk. He bloodied up Chris Neil pretty good in the pre-season defending him.

Lucic isn't even making $4 million this season. His extension doesn't kick in until next year. I think the plan this season was to get him more involved on the offensive side of the puck (like with a regular PP shift). I think that's part of the reason they got the extension done so early. An injury riddled season has slowed that development down somewhat, but the coaching staff will have to use him more when he starts earning the big bucks. Otherwise it'll be hard to justify that contract.

Quote:
To be worth the contract he needs to be scoring some goals and creating some offense. The Bruins have been scrounging for goals all season. They got one today.
Lucic is more of a heady passer and opportunistic goal scorer anyway. Good overall sense of the game, but not a creator on offense. If he's playing on a scoring line, the numbers will come. His skill set has always been underrated.

Quote:
Who would you rather have? Jeff Carter at $4m per for 5 years or Lucic?
What does that have to do with anything? Different players with TOTALLY different games. If I'm looking for a goal scorer, I take Carter. If I want a true power forward, I take Lucic.

BadBruins is offline   Reply With Quote