View Single Post
Old
01-24-2010, 09:48 AM
thomaszwei

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Rinne will most certainly be re-signed by Nashville at the end of the year. Chris Mason has been mediocre in St. Louis and Hiller will be tendered in Anaheim. That leaves Ellis, Nabokov and Turco. Turco is looking his age as of late. Let Montreal or some other team take a chance on him. Nabokov is going to demand big bucks for great regular season performances, but he's shown to be one of the premier playoff chokers during his time. That leaves Ellis, who might just end up being a steal. He can probably be had for cheap and he's having a great rebound year in Nashville. He'd be my choice if the Flyers decided to replace Emery.

With that being said, I'd prefer they keep Emery because when healthy, Emery has been stellar. I know the big thing right now is rebound control, but that's something the goaltending coach should be addressing. The fact that the Flyers have gone through goaltender after goaltender after goaltender and rebound control has been the main issue with all these goaltenders should be a red light that the organization's goaltending coaches don't feel that it's an issue. The other issue with Emery is keeping him focused on playing a technical game. When he does, he limits the rebounds and he plays under control. The moment that he gets into his athletic mode and stops playing a technical game, he becomes sloppy. However, coming off the stomach injury/operation, maybe it's good that he gets the athletic game going to ensure that he is healthy and then when it's time, he gets back to playing a technical game.
I'm pretty sure the Flyers have had the same goaltending coach for years now. I don't know his name off the top of my head, though. I remember reading an article about it on ESPN about a year back.

I think the problem with Nabakov is that the Sharks play him a ton of games during the regular season and he's got nothing left in the tank for the playoffs. He's not exactly the youngest goaltender out there and when you're playing 72 games a season, it probably doesn't bode well for as far as making a long playoff run goes. That being said, I think the Devils are pretty much setting themselves up for this kind of failure with Brodeur, especially since Canada's going to go far in the Olympics and I wouldn't be surprised if he started every game.

All things aside, I'd be happy if the Flyers were able to lock Emery up for another couple of years or so. Is he an RFA at the end of the year?

thomaszwei is offline   Reply With Quote