View Single Post
Old
01-25-2010, 09:12 AM
TheKingPin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
Since the 1999-2000 season Gagne has been a top line staple for the Flyers with 20+ goals in 7 of his 9 seasons in orange and black. One of those 20+ goals seasons came last year when he seemed to have rebounded from a concussion plagued 2007-2008 season by netting 34 goals, however during this past off-season Gagne's injury bug appeared once again causing a slow start, a surgery, and most recently a disappearance.

Since returning on December 19th Gagne has registered 14 points (5 goals 9 assists) in 19 games which doesn't seem to outlandish considering Simon is coming off an injury that required surgery, however when taking into account 3 of those goals and one of those assists came in a blow out win over the Rangers on December 30th the numbers begin to look a bit mediocre (10 points in 18 games). Also since the hat trick against the Rangers Gagne has only scored once in the past 12 games (2 if you count the Pens goal ). Gagne's recent below standards play became even more evident yesterday during the 2-1 loss to the Pens. Gagne had numerous opportunities to create potent scoring chances on a replacement goalie only to squander them by missing the net, hitting the post, or fanning on shots. Additionally Simon literally cost the team a goal when he lost his cool immediately following a weak hit from Malkin.

In my opinion Laviolette should look to move Gagne down in the line combos. I believe injuries have finally caught up to Gagne and at this point he resembles a 3rd line player more than a 1st line player.
Have to disagree. He looks more like a struggling top player. He is getting an unreal amount of chances and not doing anything with them. I think at first it was a timing thing and now may be a confidence issue. He is still a 30 goal scorer. Hes not even old.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote