View Single Post
Old
01-25-2010, 02:49 PM
lbrowne

vCash: 500
Ya know, I like Drury but I think he's in a place right now where we don't see his leadership abilities because it's behind closed doors. If we were running along smoothly and winning frequently, we'd be saying, "Look at our Captain, he has ice in his veins and it's rubbing off on our team being so cool under pressure"

I do admit, it was moving to see times on the NYR bench when Jagr took the reins, and this was on the bench, not on the ice. I remember one time specifically when he got up and went up and down the bench calling on his players. I remember the tugs on the sleeves of jerseys as he got someone's attention on the bench and leaned in to tell them what they did or didn't do right on that last shift. I really wish he was still a Ranger.

Sometimes a team (this is not just hockey, and also applies in the workplace) is built in a way that responds better to a leader that is charismatic, outspoken, and makes a loud statement on the ice. Be it a fight, scrum, hit, whichever. Someone vocal. I think our current Rangers are that sort of team, requiring someone with authority on the roster to make a huge impact/statement.

lbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote