View Single Post
Old
01-28-2010, 11:21 AM
Hrad

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The ORB View Post
A few years ago my neighbour's son was playing ball hockey across the end of our street with a few of his friends from school. I would guess they were about 10 or 11 at the time. I was doing yard work and not paying much attention and my neighbour's boy asked if I wanted to play to even up the numbers. "Yeah sure", I said, "I'll show you kids a few things". So I go and grab an old stick out of the garage. Well all the boys were pretty good and to be honest I am not much of a player, but thought we could have some fun, they were only little kids afterall. Anyway there was this one scrawny blond kid, "Stevie" who just kept beating me. He was a nice kid, but I'm a competitive kind of guy and the more I tried to beat him the more he humiliated me, much to his buddies amusement. After about 20 minutes, I am about ready to have a heart attack and we are losing by at least a squillion goals, so I call it quits and go inside for a beer and a lie down. Questioning whether I ever had any athletic ability!

Anyway it wasn't until a few years later that I was reading about the upcoming NHL draft prospects and see little blond haired "Stevie" staring back at me. I finally connected the dots. Yes that scrawny kid was Steven Stamkos of the Markham Waxers, Sarnia Sting and soon to be number 1 pick of the Tampa Bay Lightning.
I like to think my lessons in the fine art of ball hockey that day, made him the great player he went on to become.
Isn't it pretty cool to realize that you use to know somebody who's now famous?

My mom's friend's neighbour used to be Jason Spezza's mom. (not sure if he lived with her or not)

Hrad is offline   Reply With Quote