View Single Post
Old
01-28-2010, 08:53 PM
hbk

vCash: 500
If Maloney does indeed decide to Mueller (and we can debate whether or not that is the right decision another time) he's going after an asset with upside. An asset that addresses a need.

Question then becomes - What do we need?

Well, we've been "educating" HF Posters for months about the quality of our blueline prospects (Summers, OEL, Goncharov, etc.) along with the abilities of Keith Yandle and a hopefully soonly signed Michalek. I would say we are not looking for another young d man UNLESS we are moving one of these assets in another move (or as part of a package with Mueller).

Ideally, we'd all like to see another Upshall type steal. We have to smile about that but realize that we can't be that fortunate every time. We're set to take advantage of someone who needs to peddle a soon to be RFA because they can't afford to re-up them at the end of the season. We can hope but we can't plan for it to occur.

Maloney isn't likely to deal him within the conference. Having Mueller explode offensively and bury you 4-6 times per year isn't something that GMDM is going to want to do. It all depends on the return but the preference is going to be to trade Mueller to the Eastern Conference.

So what does that mean?

We are looking for a potential top 6 forward or a future #1 goalie (Bryz is another year away from being a UFA himself).

Well Eklund already has 6 teams (33% of the league) associated with Phoenix and Mueller. Interesting that 5 of the 6 teams are from the Eastern Conference.

Some Candidates?

Here's my 10 second analysis as to that list.

Boston? Joe Colborne is a promising young big forward. With apologies to Chris Brown, one thing our forward prospect group lacks is size. He's intriguing but is he doesn't offer us anything that helps us achieve our playoff goal this year.

Buffalo? Drew Stafford is desirable but probably someone they are going to want to have for their playoff run. Kassian (Buf's first rounder) is another physical type player who is currently serving his 25 game suspension for a hit in the OHL. Same scenario as Colborne, he doesn't offer us anything to help us immediately take a shot at the playoffs.

Ottawa? Don't see much in terms of power forwards but Elliot is a promising young goalie.

Florida? Like Mueller, Matthias is a highly touted prospect who is struggling. Most likely fit that I see right now.

Montreal? Pacioretty?

Vancouver? The lone West coast team on Ek's list. Cory Schneider is a potential #1. Cody Hodgson hasn't played all year but he was the #1 top prospect a year ago. Canuck fans were drooling over him last year and I don't know if the back injury and pressure to make a run THIS season is enough to justify dealing him for 3 goal Peter Mueller. He's someone we'd ask about though even if it meant a "No Chance" response.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote