View Single Post
Old
01-29-2010, 01:13 PM
Synergy27

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiguy10 View Post
be PATIENT with the puck...take a look before you pass or decide to just shoot it down the ice.
This is something I tell everyone that I play with. New players tend to be so concerned about messing up that their first instinct is to just get rid of the puck as soon as they get possession to insure that they don't make a mistake that leads to a scoring chance. The problem is that just ripping the puck down the ice is almost always the wrong play, and often just as damaging as the turnover that might have happened if you had held onto the puck.

The league I play in now has 8 skill levels, and I have played in all of them. It's amazing how much easier the game gets at the higher levels, solely because the passing is so much better. Trying to chase down pucks that are just cleared down the ice gets very tiring and frustrating, and the person that just clears it is doing nothing to improve their vision and passing ability.

One other thing that I would add is - don't be afraid to ask questions. If you think you did something wrong, or you see a player doing something good that you don't know how to do, ask them how to do it. Your teammates will appreciate your open-mindedness and desire to get better.