View Single Post
Old
01-29-2010, 06:50 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
what can the Rangers get in a firesale? Redden? Noone wants. Rozsival? Noone wants, except if the Rangers take back something else that's not working and costs $5MM. Higgins? Mid-round pick? Drury? NTC or NMC, and who wants to foot his bill? Prospal can probably fetch something, but of course then this team will have a nice hole to fill and I don't know what they're going to fill it with. There aren't a heck of a lot of options. Unfortunately, if the Rangers want to make a big splash on the young side they need to trade someone young. Someone like Dubi + Girard + a pick may be able to get a centerman who's a good amount better than Dubi, or a top pair defenseman (OK, maybe the pieces I'm putting up there aren't the right one, but that's the idea).

So since a firesale nets little, do you shed some youth for better youth? Do you say that Sangs is needed and is there a market for him? So you bank on Stepan and get rid of Anisimov + for a young winger? I dunno right now, but these are things that need to be considered.
I say move what you can for what you can that makes the team better. Trade from strengths to fill weaknesses. Don't do wasteful deals like was done last year for Antropov and don't do deals where you pay someone to take a contract.

There is only so much that can be done by the deadline. Come, the end of the season, teams have holes that need to be filled, more deals can be done. I still believe Rozi is tradeable because of the way his contract is structured. He's come to the point in his deal which is similar to where McCabe's was when he was dealt and I believe Rozi will be dealt this offseason.

My pie in the sky is ...if Gomez is dealt las season for prospects, Rozi is dealt this offseason for a prospect or pick, Drury could be dealt the following season, and Redden the year after. There are many teams who have tighter financial constraints to work within, then the salary cap. Sometimes trading a salary for a salary makes more sense and if you're not spending to the cap, the cap hit, doesn't matter too much.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote