View Single Post
Old
02-01-2010, 08:35 AM
Dan-o16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPIsles21 View Post
Now Burke has dealt more of his dwinding assets for another question mark in Phaneuf to help turn the franchise around. With nothing of value left aside from Kadri, and Schenn, the team has run out of assets to acquire a top line center it really needs, and the secondary scoring they will now need. Things will get much worse for the Leafs, and without their lottery pick this year or next, it may take years for this team to be consistent contenders again.

At least they'll be interesting though.
The second I saw this deal I thought that this is better, for the Leafs, than a Milbury deal, but it puts the team in a very Milbury state: they've banked everything on a couple of extremely talented but flawed/incomplete hockey players in Kessel and Phaneuf. They won't have all that much salary flexibility, and they've got no additional assets, as you mention.

I can see this team, with free agent acquisitions, making the playoffs and losing in the first round next year. But they're an injury or problem away from completely falling off the cliff.

I'm so glad that the players we're banking on are inconsistent because they average 20 years old. Bailey, Okposo, Tavares seem better bets to me, because they seem to have more between the ears than Kessel or Phaneuf, by far. They also seem to have the capacity to make the team their team, which I doubt either new Leaf will.

Although this move isn't a big risk if we look at it by itself, their roster is incredibly risky.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote