View Single Post
Old
02-01-2010, 05:49 PM
PHX FireBirds18

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post
In a way, and I know it might sound stupid, this is something that irritated me quite a bit last night. Until then I was starting to question Mueller's ability to raise his game's intensity. I was thinking maybe he just can't do it. He'd always be this kind of guy who seems to be floating around but uses good stick work and solid positioning to get points on the board. It would have been disappointing, but understandable. Not everyone can take over a game with an intense performance like Doan, Jovanovski or even Upshall sometimes do.

And then he pulls a game like last night out of nowhere?? Why the **** doesn't he do that every single game?? As you said, when playing like that, his points total becomes irrelevant. His presence was felt all over the ice, and when he didn't have the puck he created openings. That's what Doan does almost every night. Even if he's in a scoring slump, it's extremely rare that Doan might go for a whole game without being noticed. Whether it's forechecking, blocking shots, hitting, he'll always try different things to help the team win the game.

Now that I know Mueller is actually capable of playing with such intensity, there is zero excuse for any other piss-poor performance. There is no reason why he could at least work this hard most games. I'm not asking for 2 points a night here. Just hard work and make that #88 show up on a regular basis.
Very good post. I will say, that I never really questioned Mueller's desire or work ethic to be a good player. We all have seen him show flashes of brilliance, the two road hat tricks, him fighting off Smith in Philly to score an important goal. I might be in the minority, but I saw someone that was struggling with his confidence. He sat there with boatloads of skill, but a below average defensive game. He was in over his head with the new defensive system that Tippet brought, and the player he showed the most chemistry with in Doan, started cold. Well that seems to have stopped. If Doan can continue his tear, and Mueller can start playing like that consistently. We have just jump started our two best offensive players, if that happens I feel pretty good about the playoffs.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote