View Single Post
Old
09-24-2003, 05:32 PM
HockeySense85

vCash: 500
"Given that the GM didn't make any significant acquisitions I wonder who is going to step up and replace the Comrie/Marchant point production, and where were they last year in the playoffs when we needed them!"

To counter with a question, where were Marchant and Comrie in the playoffs when we needed them? Lets face it, a whole lot of Oilers couldn't make the difference when it really counted.

I think a lot of the optimism on this board comes from the youth and potential on this team. Last year we saw some promise from Pisani, Hemsky, and Chimera. We also saw Horcoff make some late season strides, and Reasoner battle his way back from difficult situations.

Yes it is true that a lot of the Oilers are not proven, and I agree that this is a much better team with #89 in the lineup. However, what are the chances that Isbister, Hemsky, Rita, Pisani, Horcoff, and Reasoner ALL fail to progress? Just as I don't expect every single one to have a big year, I think its a pretty safe bet that one or two of those guys actually will make significant strides.

The bottom line is that there is reason to believe this team can be successful without Mike Comrie. I just prefer to see them be even more successful with him.