View Single Post
Old
02-02-2010, 03:04 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsRock View Post
Osgood has 3 cups. He was the starter for 2 of them. Also, with the team they had, they did not need an elite guy.

Like I said, 1 team has won without an elite goalie. Of course those teams had awesome players, but I will contend that most of them dont win it without the elite goalie backing them up
Cam Ward wasn't an elite goalie the season he won or the next season after (he was a talented rookie that got hot). Khabibulin was a good starter that got hot. Marc Andre Fleury was a very good goalie that got hot. Osgood we've covered. There are probably three or four elite goalies in the NHL right now (Miller, Lundqvist, Brodeur and Luongo), and two of them don't even have rings. Giguere and Brodeur are probably the only two goalies who I would say were playing on a whole other level the year they won the cup in the last decade. The rest of the years were just good goalies playing their best. You don't need an elite goalie to win, you just need a decent one playing well.

When you're comparing their A-games only, the difference between the top 20 or so goalies in the NHL is not that huge. They're all pretty sick when they're on.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote