View Single Post
Old
02-03-2010, 05:57 AM
Larry44

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
Phil Kessel wasn't traded for a 5th round draft pick and two tickets to the ACC.
That trade could potentially turn out to be one of the worst in the last 10 years. Don't get me wrong, Kessel is a great young player, but you don't build your team around a guy that is a one dimensional winger. I'm in now way comparing these two players, but we all see now and have seen over the last couple years how hard it is, to find a number one center for Iginla, when you have spent most of your salary on dmen.

And if you think it through, you don't trade your first this year, the year after it and a second for Phil Kessel. Well, your team sucks and you know it, so you can plan on picking either Hall, Seguin or Fowler. Probably it turns out to be Fowler, which means you don't have to trade for a "stud d-man" in Phaneuf. This allows you to trade the assets spent on Phaneuf to get either more picks in a decent draft class or use those assets to get young players with potential to be better than those you traded away, especially on the forwards position.

That being said, I like Burke, I like the way he structures his teams but I think, if you would've given him a bit more time, he could have done a much better job. He's forced to build a team that can compete for a playoff spot now, and that could hurt the Maple Leafs' chance at being a Stanley Cup contender in 4-5 years.
I want to like Burke, but he has blown his chance to win the Cup in Toronto already. He had carte blanche. He should have tanked last year, like we all thought he would. Then he'd have Tavares, Duchene or Hedman instead of Kadri. And if he'd traded Kaberle when he had the chance, he'd have another couple prospects already in the hopper.

Then, instead of making what will likely be the worst trade in NHL history to get Kessel, he could sell another bottom of the barrel finish this year and get Taylor Hall or Fowler or Seguin.

And instead of signing a stiff like Komisarek, he could have saved cap room and picked up Kovalchuk now too - he's better than Kessel.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote