View Single Post
Old
02-03-2010, 06:46 PM
Palinka

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Now that Hitchcock is gone do you really think a GM will trade away a first round pick that he himself decided was the best talent on the board at the time? Not to mention the kid has only played 20 NHL games!

No way Filatov gets traded now, no way in hell.
You mean a first-round pick who got lazy after all of 8 NHL games, pouted and sulked, played his way into the press box, and demanded to go back to Russia rather than Syracuse? If you want to hand over authority to a 19-year-old with obvious attitude problems, be my guest.

I don't remember Kris Russell whining and dividing a locker room over him being a healthy scratch into December, and he's in his third year. I don't remember Derick Brassard whining over getting fourth-line minutes when that's what his play warranted. I don't remember Steve Mason whining about being demoted to 1A and later to the #2 goalie. I don't remember Jakub Voracek whining over much of anything.

So at some point, anyone who's ever been in a position of authority would look at this and say, "The treatment of Filatov is no different than the treatment of this guy, this guy, this guy, and this guy. Why did everyone except Filatov get a bit of a chip on their shoulder and start playing the way that they're supposed to?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Look at our salary committed even with those guys coming off--$48 million with roster spots still to be filled and the issue you point on defense. Torres will not be back.
Again, you assume that there is one single move or two single moves that are unrelated to each other. There are literally hundreds of ways that this team can go that involve nearly every player on the roster, so the blanket assertion that "This player, who Scott Howson would love to re-sign, is gone as a simple matter of money" is inaccurate. Torres isn't going to be getting some huge UFA deal unless Martin Lapointe's agent comes along, takes over Torres' affairs, and is able to bend a team over a table to get a deal done.

Palinka is offline   Reply With Quote