View Single Post
Old
02-03-2010, 09:46 PM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
But if we're going for a non-proven rental from a chronically bad team, I'd rather go after someone with more upside (someone we may actually keep beyond this year).

If we're going the rental route, I want a winner. Whitney fits the bill. Maybe Tkachuk. Not someone with so little experience in playing games that matter.

I'd rather have Mueller. And Phoenix may actually want one of our more experienced wingers in return. They want veterans right now.
I would certainly be happy with Whitney too, but there's most likely a steep price to pay.
Tkachuk... could make some sense also if the price is right and we're out of other options, but lets not forget that his last four trips to the playoffs has ended in first round exists with Tkachuk scoring 2 goals (9 points) in 20 games. Last year he had a big fat '0' in a four game sweep against the Canucks.
In 13 playoff runs he has gotten out of the first round twice. I don't know that a history of failure is better than having never had the chance, and Ponikarovsky is a much better player now than Tkachuk is. We have enough lack of mobility with Guerin also, IMO.

As for Mueller.... we're talking about a deadline deal here where you amp up for the playoffs. If Phoenix deals him it is to amp up and get someone they can rely on to perform. The idea that Shero would trade for a player who has underperformed for two years and has 4 goals on the season... that just seems wack. In the off-season perhaps.

In terms of a fit, Ponikarovsky is pretty much a Kunitz for Geno. Their scoring is about the same, and whereas Kunitz fast, terrier style suits Crosby, Pony's more laboured physicality fits Malkin. Doesn't hurt that there's no language barrier either for smooth transition.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote