Thread: Larry Brooks: Torts fiddles as Rangers burn
View Single Post
Old
02-04-2010, 10:30 AM
Kind of Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Neither one of these guys is what I'd call a strategic hockey mind, and as it's been pointed out, TR certainly had a penchant for line juggling himself. Other than temperment, they could be clones at this point.
That's true, but Tom didn't do it to this extent.

Also, Tom occasionally worked out some really good combinations. He had the balls to let Dubinsky center Jagr and it worked, and he stuck with it; then he threw Avery with them -- and even an Avery lover like me initially thought it was crazy -- and that worked, and he stuck with it. He seemed to get people to work with Drury. There are other examples. When Torts finds a good line, it feels more like a blind squirrel finding a nut -- and then he doesn't stick with it anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
But it really doesnt matter when you have all shooters and no one to pass them the puck. The Rangers need more playmakers, they have 2 - Prospal and Christensen (and hes just ok at it). Dubinsky isnt a great playmaker, Callahan only know one direction - straight ahead. Drury - lol, Anisimov gets to the net but hes still learning on the job. Outside of Christensen and Prospal, the only other semi-play makers are Gaborik and actually Avery who can make an occasional pass. Jokinen is known as a shooter but he's got pretty good vision too.
I still think having Avery on a line with Gaborik makes so much sense, and you get to move a playmaker in Prospal down to a line that needs one, but he's just never going to do it.

Kind of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote