View Single Post
Old
02-04-2010, 01:54 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniewalker View Post
If we were to trade away Goligoski, and get a "good team" discount on a couple free agent defensemen, we could have a seriously upgraded defense corps by spreading the wealth a bit and not having that clear cut #1 guy.

This is completely hypothetical because it's hard to say what this season has done to their values, but I would go after Dan Hamhuis and Kurtis Foster, who are both UFAs this summer.

I'd keep Eaton and Letang, signing Eaton to a raise and Letang to a fair market deal.

With Benn taking a top winger spot at an ELC price and with some of our WBS guys able to step in, it would give us a ton of flexibility.

Using a player like Nick Johnson on the 2nd line and Letestu as our third line center would enable us to pay a lot more for our defensemen. We could potentially give Letang a raise to 3.25, give Eaton a raise to 3, and then bring in a couple free agents for about 4 and 3.75. Sign Lovejoy to the league minimum and you ought to still have a couple million in space under the cap.

Getting a young winger like Benn would be huge for us. It could even allow us to keep Gonchar and Letang and sign a d-man in the 3m range to take over for McKee.
You're about a million over the cap with all of that, but if Eaton gets $3 million/year I'll eat my hat so it doesn't matter anyways. It's not exactly a great setup anyways to be frank. Nick friggin' Johnson as a full time top six forward, an unproven (yes face it) Letestu getting consistent minutes, and you need to re-sign/replace Cooke as well which would definitely put it over the cap.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote