View Single Post
Old
02-04-2010, 03:46 PM
johnniewalker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
I'm not knocking you (well except the Nick Johnson part), in fact I was going to add that it's a difficult task trying to project the cap situation a season from now but I already clicked submit. Oh well, the point still stands.

You've got $56.422 million with 3 players to go so I think it would end up being a little bit over the cap. A seventh defenseman and thirteenth forward would be added to that number as well. I think the backup goalie estimate is a little low too, but we got Johnson for that amount so I can't argue with it.

It's just a little risky doing it this way to me, but we're splitting hairs a little bit. Fedotenko sucks but that doesn't mean he isn't more capable than Nick Johnson or someone like him. If Letestu doesn't pan out all of a sudden you're a two line team. I'd probably rather have the 3 centers split up like usual and try to get more value out of that 2nd LW spot, that's about it.

Also on a related note: I know we have to pinch pennies because of our big contracts, but Letang at $3+ million is ridiculous to me but I'm sure that's what he'll get.
I explained badly in my example, but the 56.422 is already allocating $5 million to split between the 3 positions with X salary. I also edited my post to undo what appeared to be snarkiness, because I didn't mean it that way when I wrote it but it sounded that way when I read it.

I do agree, though, that it's risky to be close to the cap especially when relying on unproven rookies in your lineup, though I really meant any old rookie would do in those spots. If you put Johnson or whoever impresses in camp in at LW, Letestu or whoever impresses at camp at C, and maybe a cheap free agent on the final pairing, you could save most of that $5m I allocated for the trade deadline and have the space to pull off a big deal.

johnniewalker is offline   Reply With Quote