View Single Post
Old
01-17-2005, 12:22 AM
kruezer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgess1978
Brown and Ricci were not offered contracts because Marcel Goc is pencilled in as the team's #3 centre after performing well in the playoffs. There was also talk of more ice time for Mark Smith as they were happy with his performance in the playoffs also. (I don't have a link. This was after the playoffs last year).

-Sturm plays LW for San Jose.
-Also, Hannan was their #1 guy in the playoffs, so I doubt he will be traded.

Right now you are looking at something like this. I'm not guessing line combos, just trying to exhibit the needs:

Sturm-Marleau-Demitrakos
Ekman-McCauley-Korulyuk
Thornton-Goc-Cheechoo
Smith-Primeau-Parker

Michalek

Hannan-??
McLaren-Stuart
Rathje-??

with Preissing, Davison, Fahey and Ehrhoff fighting over the other 3 spots.

Their needs are:

1. One or two of these four d-men to step up and claim a spot.
2. Maybe a solid RH defensemen to play with Hannan.
3. A bit more scoring depth. It hurt the team's scoring and Marleau's production when Sturm broke his leg and missed the playoffs.

I haven't seen much of these four guys so I'm not sure on whether you would want to watch them develop or pick up someone else, but...

Mike Commodore or Steve Montador for 4th or 5th
These guys did a good job in the playoffs, are both right handed, are currently sitting at 6 and 7 on the depth chart without including Eriksson or Phaneuff (sp?) and Calgary and San Jose are common trade partners.

Brad Ference for a 5th
Trade value is VERY low, but could turn around. Also would mean they don't have to dress Parker so often.

Or if you want to pay a little more and get a bit better player...
Aaron Miller
Not sure what you'd need to give up here, but good RH stay at home guy.

Remember that San Jose went VERY close to making the Cup Finals WITHOUT Marco Sturm, so they are not going to make any blockbusters.
What about Toni Lydman? He would fit beautifully next to Hannan IMO.

It would be odd for Calgary to add to San Jose defensive depth, and unlikely unless Phaneuf is immediately brilliant, but Hannan-Lydman McLaren-Stuart Rathje-Ehrhoff, would be an amazing top 6. Not to mention Lydman is the wrong hand. Really it makes no sense except that it would look cool. But Calgary would be looking for a forward not named Korolyuk.