View Single Post
Old
01-17-2005, 02:20 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666
and it's no coincidence that they are the most popular sport in the US.

There's also a significant difference between teams that make the playoffs (more than half the teams in the league do that) and those that have real shots at the Cup.

You can't seriously expect me to believe that you believe that any team making the PO's can win the Cup do you?

We all know that the 6th 7th and 8th seeds in both conferences are hoping to get to the 2nd round and that's considered a successful season.

The NFL has true parity, and it's reflective in the mass interest in the sport.

I guess it just goes back to my belief that one has everything to do with the other and there's nothing that can shake me from that belief. The sport of Football has grown leaps and bounds in popularity over the last 10-15 years, that's about 2-4 years after every franchise got used to the parameters of a cap.

Here's what keeps fans interested. the 49'ers went 2-14 this year, they can win that division next year. The Steelers are 15-1 and guess what, as a fan I am going to watch every game I can to see if they can repeat the feat. I'd expect that they don't even win the Division, but the fact that we don't know what will happen is what draws our interest.

The NHL doesn't have that. A Cap imposes that kind of environment. The first 2-5 years may not be great, but the 10-15 years beyond that when all teams can function properly in a capped environment, then you will see true parity and then you will see the sport reach populatiry levels equal to 1994.

A luxury tax doesn't take away the unfair advantage of teams with money, and that's where the real problem is.

You honestly believe that Football is so much more popular because of parity?