View Single Post
Old
02-05-2010, 02:35 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post
sure, but some players takes longer and have to develop other aspects than scoring first.
tatar's easy transition to NA is a very good thing. no doubt about it. but what does it tell us about his future and his upside?

it's hard to compare his development to players who are in juniors right now and maybe working on defense or something else.

don't get me wrong, i'm glad tatar is doing fine, but it doesn't necessarily mean he's climbing on the depth chart or getting ahead of others. ferraro for example is stuck in juniors. unlike tatar he can't show how ready he is. so i just don't think ferraro was leapfrogged by tatar.
I get what you're saying and I don't disagree with any of it. I don't think Tatar leapfrogged Ferraro either, but that's mostly because I don't think Tatar was ever really behind him. Like you mentioned in an earlier post, just because one kid was drafted after another by the same team doesn't mean the team ranks the second kid lower. I think that's largely the case with Ferraro/Tatar.

I do think Tatar has pulled ahead of Ferraro though. You asked about future and upside. Well, I think Tatar's upside is known. And Ferraro's. And most other high picks. It's just a matter of whether they realize it or not. And I think Tatar's success in the AHL makes it more likely he realizes his.

I think there are a number of tests each prospect needs to pass to be successful. Tatar is in the midst of passing a big one. You're right, Ferraro can't help not being in the AHL and not getting a chance to take that same test right now. That doesn't damage his future outlook in any way, but, at the same time, we don't know if he'll pass that test or not. Meanwhile, Tatar is passing it. Tatar has proven more and is more likely to reach his upside, since he is closer that Ferraro to reaching it. That's the difference. Imo.

I have no problem with people who think Ferraro will be the better NHL player though. Prospects are a highly subjective subject

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote