View Single Post
Old
02-05-2010, 02:52 PM
94now

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by puck10 View Post
Rather than create an entirely new topic thread, I'd like to bring this old topic back to life.

It has been well documented that the retail "Drury curve" appears to be the curve of choice for NHLers. My question is, why, what's the fascination? What exactly is it about this curve that draws so many high-end players? Is it a shooter's curve or a playmaker/passer's curve? I've never used it, so I'm curious.

Granted, I'm fully aware that ultimately it is 110% player personal preference and that, in the end, it's "the carpenter, not the tool" but certainly manufacturers create different blade patterns consisting of various combinations of curve location, depth, size, face angle, lie, toe shape, etc. for a reason. So, again, all that said, I'm wondering what combination of pattern specifics (heel curve, slight depth, 1/2", very open face, etc.) make the Drury the curve of choice for so many NHLers?

I am sure NHL players can stick-handle the puck w/o the blade using just a shaft. Therefore I would leave stick-handling importance to beer league players.
That leaves passing and shooting for analysis.
Heal curved blade has longer traverse length compared to same overall length mid curve one. That means that on the wrist shot the puck stays on the blade a bit longer. That improves accuracy for both wrist shot and forehand pass, which are in essence the same actions. Saucer passes are "must have" in the advanced player arsenal; they are are much more accurate due to better puck rotation. Big loft hepls there as well.
Except for the heel area the heel curved blade is practically straight or I should say much more straight compared to mid curve blade. That is important for backhand shot.
Big loft on Drury allows for quick release on snap shot. Same can be seen on Sakic curve which is a king of popularity among mid curve blades.
Big loft could be a problem for slap shot, but it is possible to adjust to it by reducing the wrist turn on the take off. NHL level players can do that with ease.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote