View Single Post
Old
02-05-2010, 03:22 PM
Brodeur

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Very similar situations here, if anything, Forsberg is much less of an asset than Kovy/Hossa. Flyers got back a very solid D prospect, a very solid forward who can play anywhere in the lineup, and a 1st.

Now, would you rather have a shutdown D prospect, a sparkplug winger who will pot 20-25 per year, and a 1st or an overpaid d-man, a forward described as an "enigma" who is poor defensively, a prospect who is suspended and a dirty player, and a 1st in the same area of the draft?

I take the Flyers deal all week and twice on Sundays.
I don't think anybody's gonna argue that Philly got a pretty good package for Forsberg. The slight difference is that they were decidedly out of the playoffs at that point, plus had the financial resources to be a player in free agency. They could taking prospects knowing they could also spend money to lure Danny Briere, Kimmo Timonen, and Scott Hartnell a few months later.

The Thrashers still have a reasonable shot at the playoffs. So Waddell wanted immediate help. Again, it's questionable strategy as you mentioned, but that was their goal. Atlanta also probably wouldn't be a prime free agent destination that Philly would have been in 2007.

And it's not like Ryan Parent's really torn the cover off the NHL to this point. All of us have the tendency to overrate Parent's potential and gloss over Oduya putting up 25+ points and playing 20+ minutes the last couple of years.

Quote:
If I'm Waddell, I immediately go to LA (who was offering prospects).

I want 1 of Hickey/Moller/Schenn/Voynov/Loktionov. Depending on which one the Kings are willing to give (and they'd be willing to give at least 1 IMO), you then ask for Parse/Richardson (solid 3rd liners who the Kings probably won't be able to afford down the line) and depending on the combo, then get a pick.
I watch a lot of Kings games and spend a good deal of time on their boards......not entirely sure I would call Parse a solid 3rd liner. Ryan Smyth and Justin Williams had cascading injuries and the Kings didn't have any other AHL wingers worth calling up. Kinda doubt Lombardi would have dealt Hickey or Schenn for a potential rental right now.

Quote:
Hypothetically you get Hickey/Richardson/2nd.
This would be a tough sell to the non-fanatic fanbase. We just traded Kovalchuk for a guy with 7 goals this year, a prospect defenseman who is out for the season, and a mid 2nd rounder? Basically throwing in the towel on the season. At least by getting Bergfors/Oduya, they can say they still intend on fighting for a playoff spot.

Richardson's played really well lately, but it wasn't too long ago that Kings fans were calling him a waste of space.

Like others mentioned, I think you're underselling Cormier based on the elbowing incidents. Six weeks ago, Cormier was a great looking 3rd line prospect who was named Captain of the Canadian WJC team. These elbowing incidents tarnish his image, but doesn't mean he can't reach his potential.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote