View Single Post
Old
01-17-2005, 04:51 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Minnesota/Mankato Weekend Series

I don't have my game notes on these games at the moment (I can put them together and post it if you all would like), but I have to say that it was a interesting series.

Friday night was a wild one at the Xcel (no pun intended). The Saturday night game in Mankato, IMO was the better game to watch. You've gotta hand it to the Mavs, they really hung tough against the Gophers and if it hasn't been said before, I'll say it now...the Mavs are a team that has the capability to beat a top team on any given night. If the Mavs could get more consistent goaltending from Volp and/or Clarke they'd be a really scary team to have to play against. IMO they're a much better team than their record would indicate.

In the Friday game, I thought Danny Irmen was awesome! That goal that got him the hat-trick was very sweet. BTW, anyone else think that this series was one of Mike Vannelli's best outings of the year? I thought he played really, really well in this series. Also, I really like the way the Gophers youngsters such as Ben Gordon and Evan Kaufmann are coming along. I know that Gordon doesn't play every game, but in most of the games I've seen him, he's given a solid effort. I was happy to see Justin Johnson get some playing time. He was outstanding in the Saturday game. The Gophers can't overwork Briggs for the stretch run and Lucia's decision to start Johnson after Briggs gave up 6 goals on Friday was the right decision.

Finally, how about Kris Chucko? It was nice to see him get multiple goals in games. I think he's finally settling into the college game. He's just going to get better and better and when he does, look out! My question is, will Lucia continue having Chucko playing with Potulny and Irmen the rest of the way?