View Single Post
Old
02-06-2010, 07:24 PM
Caeldan
Whippet Whisperer

vCash: 100
Basic Positional Advice?

Been playing for this season for the first time in like 15 years (just a regular pickup game, no faceoffs/whistles - and just shift into whatever position of the guy coming off was)... and I've sorta picked up some ideas on where I should be from what I could remember from when I was like 10, and of course watching TV...

Generally I get the idea that if you're on D... in the defensive zone - you should be the one digging in the corners, or covering the guy in front of the net. Through the neutral zone returning to your zone - you cover the passing lanes. And then in the offensive zone - you float from the center of the blue line, over to the point, and down to the halfwall to assist the forwards.

For W... you cover the point in your defensive zone, and pinch in to help the D out when necessary? On offense, just find a way to get yourself open - either cycle into the corners or in front of the net.

However, if I happen to get shifted out on C... I have no idea where I should be. I get completely lost out there, and it shows cause eventually someone else seems to end up shifting up and I'll default back to a D position.

So my personal question is where does a center cover... what are their duties in the various areas of the ice...

and more general question would be just what other things am I missing about the other positions?

Caeldan is offline   Reply With Quote