View Single Post
Old
09-25-2003, 04:57 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

vCash: 500
Ribeiro can be both great and awful in the same night. He has hands softer than velvet that arguably beat Koivu's and is a nice playmaker. The main problem (s) with him is that he tends to vary in intensity from game to game, which can either be attributed to a lack of maturity or a lack of commitment. The former can be resolved with experience, the later means big trouble for any team that tries to change that.

He's also slow, although I have to give him credit he worked on his leg strenght during the summer and it shows as he's faster than before, which brings him at the average skater level. He's not big enough. He's 6' tall but there's not enough meat around that frame, although, again, he bulked up (a bit) during the summer and again, it shows during camp as he's stronger along the boards.

My take on him is that if he gains around 10 extra pounds during the next year and learns to make more of a commitment to defense, while not forgeting to play every shift, he has easily 2nd line center written on him. The only problem with Ribs is that he never showed he belonged or wanted it enough. Of course he often played on the 4th line with goons but never to this day added a sense of urgency to his game and an extra effort to impress the coaches and earn upgraded ice time during regular season. He'll likely get his chance this year, as our 1st two lines are shaping as follow:

Bulis - Koivu - Audette
Hossa - Ribeiro - Zednik

I won't deny that fact the he, along with Ryder, Komisarek and a few others is the best looking player out there since the camp started and he does look more determined than ever to win and keep the 2nd line center job as for the 1st time there's a real opening, but he really needs to put it all together this year or his career with the Canadiens will likely be over. If he does however, his upside is 50-60pts playmaking 2nd line center with PP time.