View Single Post
Old
02-06-2010, 10:41 PM
chaosof99*

vCash: 500
The Inability to Score

Well, we apparently have a problem and it's the same problem we already had this season for a long time: The team can't buy a goal. An upgrade is at this point absolutely necessary. Practically all forwards are performing below expectations this season and JVR is not completely replacing Lupul and Upshall either, but nobody expected that.

The worst offenders are Hartnell (12 goals in 55 games) and Gagne (6 goals in 32 games) and as much as it pains me to say this but I think it is time to cut at least one of them loose.

The problem is that I just checked and in terms of wings there is absolutely nothing attractive on the market that is probably going to be available (turning free agent next season). All I can see is overpaid, aging rentals like Whitney and Kariya, plus the oft injured Selanne who at least has a decent cap-number. If we were to trade it would have to be for an established guy and without anything of real trade value this is going to be hard.

At this point the only thing we can really do is trade away Gagne and/or Hartnell for some 2nd line talent where we might strike an even deal or clear cap room and maybe go fishing for Kovalchuk in free agency, hoping he does not resign with the Devs.

I'm really wondering what could have been had we made a move for Heatley in the offseason too.

We're really lacking someone who can finish off some chances and I am growing sick and tired of losing one-goal decisions.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote