View Single Post
Old
01-18-2005, 05:02 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust
Ya think maybe Boyle has a say in his decision whether to play in the NCAA or Canadian Juniors?
There is this thing called a college education some people value.
I don't know, was he even drafted by a junior team?

Maybe playing in high school he never thought he would be drafted into the NHL so he signed his letter of intent. Or maybe his parents made the decision or pressured him him. "You'll always have your education" And afterall with a large family, BC is close to home.

Maybe he wanted to go to college, or maybe he wanted to go pro, but he(or his family) just didn't think it was that realistic. Who knows.

If it's just about him getting a college education, then when he signs his pro contract, they can write in a clause for a paid for education-it's happened before in sports.

In the end, I think the point is moot. I'm sure the Kings are more than happy for to develop in college, and that's what it all comes down to. They were more than happy to draft a college player because they get four years to sign him instead of two. Those extra two years will give him more time to get through his awkward phase, and also it gives the Kings two extra years to decide whether he may turn out to be the finished product they had hoped.

I just disagree a bit on which direction they should have taken with him. If they really thought he was worth the first, then they should have put him in the best situation for him to develop into a pro player-which IMO isn't college.