View Single Post
Old
02-08-2010, 03:21 AM
Czech Your Math

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco543 View Post
I still think it's absolutely hilarious that the Kings drafted Tom Glavine ahead of Robitaille that year.
May seem hilarious that no team picked Luc for 8+ rounds, but where is the hilarity in the Kings picking Glavine?
It wasn't a joke pick, he was a fourth rounder.

Id like to believe I would have made it. There are guys I played against in high school who have played in the NHL, and we had comparable talent then. But there are no guarantees. I know I would have had to become bigger I was 6-foot-0, 180 [pounds] when I graduated from high school. Either that or find a way to play as Gretzky played. But I think I had a shot to make it.

I guess after going through both sports and doing a pros and cons for both sports, they were both evenly matched in my mind. I love both sports, but the deciding factor was, being a left-handed pitcher, I had a huge advantage in baseball because of that, and I didn't have that type of advantage in hockey. I knew how desperately everyone wanted a left-handed pitcher, so it was an advantage that I needed to try and use.

...I don't know. When I was in high school, I was a scorer; I was a skill player, so to speak. I was never a banger. I scored a lot of goals and took a lot of pride in keeping the puck out of my net when I was on the ice, killing penalties and things like that. So I was a complete player in that regard. But, looking back, I know I would have had to gain some weight and get stronger. I like to think I would have made it, but would I have been a Hall of Fame player like I hope to be in baseball? The likelihood is probably no I will always wonder what would have happened, but there's no second-guessing the decision I have made."

I guess another hilarious pick was Kirk McCaskill, also a fourth rounder, by Winnipeg in 1981. He was a Hobey Baker finalist.

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote