View Single Post
Old
01-18-2005, 11:08 PM
CRUNK JUICE

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CRUNK JUICE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malefic74
If I get run over unintentionally or catch a stick by accident usually I can let that go. In fact a lot of players will go out of their way to apologize. Hey it's a physical emotional game played at a fast pace and I get that. And I'm by no means above gettting caught up in it.

But there are players who deliberately fall on goalies, bump them on the way by, or even slew foot them on their way out of the zone. I've had guys butt-ending me the whole time they're screening me and I've had guys hacking my hands after I make saves or cover the puck. Sometimes even to a 3 count AFTER the whistle. And if refs are not going to call it, then I will do something about it. Do I expect to get a penalty? Every time. Does it draw the refs attention to a situation he's been missing? Every time. Usually after my penalty anyone on either team bothering the me or the other goalie find themselves in the box.

I have no problem with guys who screen. They know they will take a few shots and for the most part are OK with it. I have no problem with guys who drive the net for the puck. They're trying to score. I DO have a problem with the guys who ignore the puck and come after me. And those guys can expect a blocker under the chin every time and I will not apologize for it.
I can honestly say that as a big forward who likes to mix it up in the slot, I have never intentionally run a goalie. If I make contact, it's because we were both going for the puck, and in all honesty, I'll sometimes even back off out of respect for the goalie's position (I used to be a goalie and I have a lot of respect for them, so I'm not going to go out of my way to make a Patrick Eaves type play that could injure somebody, especially given that most goalies in beer leagues aren't near the size of Malefic). I'll even take the slashes to the backs of my legs with a smile usually unless they REALLY get me hard or in a spot that's already bruised.
That said, what baffles me is the goalies who pitch a hissy fit when I'm still whacking away at the puck BEFORE the whistle. The second I hear it, I back away RIGHT THEN. However, if there's no whistle, it's my right to keep whacking away until the goalie gets enough control to get a whistle or the puck goes in. If he has a problem, too bad. It's totally legal.
In general, as mentioned earlier, I tend to be pretty respectful of the goalie (except this one guy who played on my H.S. team. I get a kick out of pushing his buttons since we're friends and I can get away with it. Actually made him mad enough to come out after me once).
As mentioned earlier, I have a lot respect for goalies and I know they have enough crap to deal with without dirtbags trying to injure them, so while I'm going to what I can to make their jobs harder, I started the thread mainly out frustration, as being one of the biggest and strongest guys in the league I play, a lot of liberties get taken in an effort to try and stop me, particularly by defensemen in front of the net, and I was looking for a way to fight back or at least send the message that that kind of crap won't be tolerated any longer.
That said, I've faced off against bigger goalies than you Malefic and come out on the winning end. I'll bet I could at least do some damage in front of your crease.