View Single Post
Old
02-08-2010, 08:00 PM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarodude39 View Post
Whether you think they are going to make it or not, you have to expect them to get a shot at the NHL soon to see what they have in those players. Looking at the blueline next season, you would have:

Brewer
Jackman
Polak
EJ
Petro
Liles
Strachan(RFA)
Cole
Junland

All of those guys would be expected to fight for a roster spot. That gives 9 d-men, if we acquire Liles. It would do no good for Junland, Petro, or Cole to sit every night as a healthy scratch with that depth, so you would have to assume 2 of those 3 guys would be sent to Peoria(something I dont know that Cole will be willing to do, and Junland might be getting tired of), and yet another depth defensemen would be needed to be signed, giving us potentially 10 d-men under contract. That is a whole heck of a lot of defensemen....I think the offers in this thread all seem pretty fair, but doesnt really answer the Blues biggest need, which is an impact scoring forward.
It's called a trade, bud. Dealing from a surplus. Not all these guys in the pipeline are going to be coming to the show as Blues.

Petro will not be an extra defenseman going into 2010-11. Next year is finally his time to shine. No more question marks around his status. He's going to be here full time.

Brewer/Jackman/Polak/Petro/EJ/Liles would be a solid defensive core...a versatile group, filled with offensive guys who can push the play and man the point on the PP and guys who are solid in their own end.

Brewer's albatross contract comes off after 2011 and the Blues still have depth in the pipeline if they were to deal a Cole or Junland with guys like Strachan and Rundbland. Depth defenseman who can give you 14-17 minutes like Mike Weaver are a dime-a-dozen.

The Blues need more dynamic talent on the blue line. A guy like Liles fits the bill and doesn't impact our salary structure to pay Perron and EJ this summer because Boyes would be going the other way.

Liles is just a good gamble in my opinion. I'm sick of our horrible transition game. You add Petro and Liles in one offseason and this team improves immensely in that area.

TheOrganist is offline   Reply With Quote