View Single Post
Old
01-19-2005, 12:42 AM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiversQ
Well the deal does give the Panthers Havlat and Jason Smith and that's a pretty reasonable return for Jokinen. The same Jokinen that can't match Huselius' +/- numbers for the last three years. The only thing I can't comment on are the intangibles that many Panther fans believe Jokinen brings to the table. If they are as good as advertised, then he shouldn't be traded.

BTW, if the Panthers had Jason Smith he'd be their best defenseman and no, he could not be replaced with Lyle Odelein. Smith plays the tough minutes against the best players in the league and he finishes on the plus side of the ledger and has very strong numbers at ES. This phenomenon may seem magical for a Panthers fan and that's because that's how you win hockey games. Wise teams value players like that highly, which is why I highly doubt he would be the dman the Oilers end up trading in the next 18 months (and they'll probably trade one of Brewer/Smith/Staios in that time).
Thanks for backing me up on Smith, but I don't think there's any need for that kind of comment.

With regards to the Oilers trading/not trading Smith: IMO Brewer is more valuable to the Oilers right now and I did take into account that Florida could use a veteran top 4 guy. Those two factors combined made me choose Smith as the second principle from the Oilers point of view. You're right, though. Smith is, statistically from a ES and minutes POV, better than Brewer.