Thread: Proposal: Col - Stl
View Single Post
Old
02-08-2010, 07:12 PM
camarodude39

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrganist View Post
It's called a trade, bud. Dealing from a surplus. Not all these guys in the pipeline are going to be coming to the show as Blues.

Petro will not be an extra defenseman going into 2010-11. Next year is finally his time to shine. No more question marks around his status. He's going to be here full time.

Brewer/Jackman/Polak/Petro/EJ/Liles would be a solid defensive core...a versatile group, filled with offensive guys who can push the play and man the point on the PP and guys who are solid in their own end.

Brewer's albatross contract comes off after 2011 and the Blues still have depth in the pipeline if they were to deal a Cole or Junland with guys like Strachan and Rundbland. Depth defenseman who can give you 14-17 minutes like Mike Weaver are a dime-a-dozen.

The Blues need more dynamic talent on the blue line. A guy like Liles fits the bill and doesn't impact our salary structure to pay Perron and EJ this summer because Boyes would be going the other way.

Liles is just a good gamble in my opinion. I'm sick of our horrible transition game. You add Petro and Liles in one offseason and this team improves immensely in that area.
I fully expect Petro to be in the lineup every day next season. So that leaves Junland and Cole on the outside looking in. Rumor has it that Cole is not very open to playing in Peoria. And Junland may or may not be happy with another season on the other side of the river.

I just dont see the Blues making a trade to bring in a defensemen with multiple years remaining on his contract without moving another defensemen whose contract runs beyond this season in the deal.

Boyes for Liles isnt trading from our depth. Defense is our depth, and that would be simply adding even more depth. If Brewer or Jackman were dealt elsewhere, I would be able to get behind this deal, but I dont see that happening because of Brewer's recent injury woes, and Jackman's high value by JD and Co.

Also, $4.25m isnt really an albatross contract for a d-man playing over 20 mins a night on a top 10 PK....you are making it sound like it is Wade Redden, Rozsival, Hamerlik bad.

camarodude39 is offline   Reply With Quote