Thread: Dan Hamhuis
View Single Post
Old
02-08-2010, 08:27 PM
Pattypred

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I think you guys are overreacting. Hamhuis and Klein is truly NOT a good pairing, but like the Suter/Zidlicky pairing (which was also truly dreadful), it does not mean that one or both of the players are also awful. We saw that as soon as Suter was away from Zidlicky - he was a force. In fact, he became our no. 1 defenseman after Zid was moved, and he has been one of the better d-men in the league the past two years. The same really goes for Klein/Hammer. I think Trotz recognizes they are far better than the other options, and so he pairs them together. Klein still makes dumb mistakes - this is really only his first full season, and he has added nearly 7 minutes in TOI in one year.....he is doing something right out there. Hamhuis has always had the occasional giveaway, which is compounded by Klein's semi-rookie status. With that said, Klein is far and away more talented than anything else behind him. Hamhuis is as well. I can see the reasoning behind it, but it just isn't working. Ideally, we could simply split the two up.

In a long-winded way, I am basically saying - Hamhuis is a good defenseman. Klein is easily worth the ridiculously cheap contract he signed (1.3 million for 3 years???? Come on....We gave DeVries 2.5!). Lets take a step back and stop beating the dead horse in every thread on the boards. Should they be split up? Yes. Can we split them up? Franson and Sulzer would be infinitely worse. Boullion might do better, but he stabilizes that bottom pairing. We have to sleep in this bed, and really, Hamhuis is the one that has to step up his game. He is the veteran, and he needs to be the one that steps up his game and stops making stupid mistakes in his own zone.
+1

Pattypred is offline   Reply With Quote