View Single Post
Old
02-09-2010, 01:47 PM
sbkbghockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
I have heard rumors that the IHL may shut down on intotheboards.net. What proposed downtown arena in Dayton? The proposed Austin Road arena is down by Centerville, 10 miles south of downtown. If and when it is built, it will kill any other proposed arenas. The overpriced Nutter Center is 10 miles east at WSU. Hara Arena, where the Gems are drawing 2300 in a 5600 seat arena on a good night, is northwest.
I havent followed the story lately but the last i remember wasnt it basically spit either there or in downtown Dayton.

Quote:
Franke pointed out that Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Dayton, Louisville, Lexington, Ky., Youngstown, Ohio, and now Muskegon have all lost professional teams over the last six years, and there are rumors that Johnstown, Pa., and Wheeling, W.Va., may also fold from the ECHL after this season.
This quote is misleading, there was a lot more than just the economy to most of those cities. Indy's CHL team and then Youngstown was 1000s of miles from their closest CHL competition, Youngstown had bad management i believe too. Cincy Mighty Ducks were competing with the Cyclones in a city that's not really
a big hockey market, plus their arena wasn't in the best area of town compared to the Cyclones downtown along the river next to Great American Ballpark. Louisville and Lexington weren't marketed or run well to non-taditional hockey markets. I've heard rumors of Johnstown and Wheeling folding for seasons now and they're still around, but despite being two pretty good teams, those small market Appalachian cities' economies have struggled.

Last edited by sbkbghockey: 02-09-2010 at 02:05 PM.
sbkbghockey is offline   Reply With Quote