View Single Post
Old
02-09-2010, 06:50 PM
Steelhead16

vCash: 500
Don't give yourself too big of a hill to climb. Your list was long so don't try and fix all of it at once. Divide your list up into things that are related and start there. Obviously skating is involved in all of it so that is key. Start with skating forward and work on the skills that you will need in the offensive zone (positioning yourself so you can go around a defender, chip and chase, driving the net) whatever it is. Then maybe move to defense to offense transition (maybe make up for lack of explosion by reading the play quicker so you get started one or two steps earlier) Your head can make up for a lack of speed. I played defense with an NHL HOF left wing who was the slowest skater I ever played with. Didn't keep him from scoring 600 goals. He knew where to go and got there in the most efficient way possible. You played defense before so you know where a defensman wants a forward to be. Read the play and get there, don't wait to see what's going to happen. Hockey is a read and react sport. Making it a watch and react sport puts you 2 steps behind. My son is playing high school hockey and has the same issues so I have been dealing with this for a while. He played for a coach who made him scared to make mistakes so he thinks too much. He knows how to play and I am trying to get him to just play and let it flow. Make mistakes giving 100%.
It sounds like your lower league moves at a pace that you can think one step ahead and thus the game is easier. Don't let your higher league freak you out, it's the same game. It's like anything else, the more you do it the easier it gets. Use your lower league to get better and then implement what you learn into your higher league game.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote