View Single Post
Old
02-10-2010, 05:07 PM
BlueShirts702

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
The Higgins comparision wasn't in regards to their skills, but that he was suppose to easily reach 20 goals for the Rangers this season. And the problem is that the Rangers can't go after anyone, whether it be Kovalchuk or Frolov, unless they are able to move one of Redden or Roszival or hopefully Brashear.

The Rangers will have approx $10.5 million in cap space for next season. The cap may go up about another $2 million if the players invoke their 5% escrow or whatever it's called lol. The Rangers have to re-sign Staal (Probably 3 years with a cap hit of $3 million), Girardi (Probably 2 years with a cap hit around $2 million), Prust (Probably around $650K), Sauer (around $850K, hopefully he takes a 2 way deal), and Byers (probably a 2 way deal though). Then the Rangers have to choose if they want to receive Lisin, Christiansen, Prospal, and Jokinen. Of that group, at the minimum I see the Rangers brining back Prospal (at around $2 million).

So out of that group of re-signed players, the Rangers will have used up around $8 million of that available $10.5 million in cap space.

Not saying that the Rangers making a deal to move some cap space can't happen, but who knows.

I hear what you're saying but there is no way one of those three isn't moved or something isn't done to free up space. There is no way that the Rangers go into next season with the same roster we have this year.

The Higgins thing is still a bad comparison, IMO. While he was a 20 goal scorer, he wasn't flashy and never struck me as the type of guy that would pot 30+. Frolov, in my opinion, has the skills to net 30 + goals in the right environment. I think that NY could be that type of atmosphere.