View Single Post
Old
09-25-2003, 10:37 AM
Dan-o

vCash: 500
Should we bring up 4-5 prospects?

I've noticed, especially on the Wild board, how desparately everybody wants our prospects brought up to the NHL. Foy, Brandner, Wanvig, Wallin, Vielleux, Burns, Michalek, etc., etc. Am I the only one that thinks it's INCREDIBLY dumb to bring up more than 1-2 of our young guys?

If we cut guys like Dowd and Hendrickson, they're not gonna go to Houston. The Wild don't want 34-year old centers at their primary affiliate anymore than Dowd and Darby want to go there. By staying with the vets and working the young guys in slowly, we keep the team chemistry, and we don't risk blowing the confidence of our prospects. I just get the impression that a lot of people are so giddy at the idea of seeing new players that they want to bring them up even if they aren't ready for it. Foy and Burns would be obvious examples. Bringing these guys up before they're ready will do nothing but hurt them. They won't get any time on the ice to improve and their confidence will go in the crapper.

I just don't like the idea of having 1/4 of our opening day roster being first time NHLers. What is the rush??????