View Single Post
Old
09-25-2003, 01:20 PM
Tom_Benjamin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu
1) I don't think that there would be anti-trust issues, especially if there is a competitive league forming. Also, given the non-essential nature of pro-sports, I think this would reduce the likelihood of anti-trust laws getting in the way.

2) If the same salary budget is set-up for all teams, then it takes away this issue

3) Possibly, but all teams would not be receiving equal share in the new combined entity. Toronto and New York would be receiving a bigger piece of the pie than Calgary and Carolina. If a fair offer is made, it should be more attractive for those teams to stay within the NHL.
1) Are you an anti-trust lawyer? I'm not and I don't really have a clue. I do know that both the Canadian and US governments would have to approve a merger. If you have some information as to how the governments would act in this case, I'd like to hear it.

2) Salary budget? Who cares? If I'm in Edmonton, the NHL corporation turns much bigger profits if I lose and if the Divisions in the big markets win. That is the way the NHL Corporation maximises profits. It is the way the NHL today would maximise profits too. The difference today is that Edmonton makes the most money if they win. Everybody in the NHL today has a powerful financial reason to try to win.

In the NHL Corporation, it will be in everyone's interest if the Rangers win. The Edmonton share of the profits - everyone's share of the profits - would be maximised with a Ranger Cup.

3) What NHL? It is shut down, remember? If they are going to try to set up this owner's league you suggest, it will take a great deal of time. Even to arrange the merger - among 30 partners! - will take years. Then come the regulatory hoops.

Meanwhile the WHA is inviting groups in Toronto who are interested in selling hockey in Toronto to submit a bid for an expansion franchise. How much could they charge?

Tom