View Single Post
Old
02-13-2010, 04:18 PM
adsfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkbghockey View Post
I havent followed the story lately but the last i remember wasnt it basically spit either there or in downtown Dayton.

This quote is misleading, there was a lot more than just the economy to most of those cities. Indy's CHL team and then Youngstown was 1000s of miles from their closest CHL competition, Youngstown had bad management i believe too. Cincy Mighty Ducks were competing with the Cyclones in a city that's not really
a big hockey market, plus their arena wasn't in the best area of town compared to the Cyclones downtown along the river next to Great American Ballpark. Louisville and Lexington weren't marketed or run well to non-taditional hockey markets. I've heard rumors of Johnstown and Wheeling folding for seasons now and they're still around, but despite being two pretty good teams, those small market Appalachian cities' economies have struggled.
I was in Cincinnati 4 years ago. The downtown area had fallen apart. The nice area was only one half the size that it was 20 years ago. I was really shocked. I used to spent some time down there 30 years ago when it was nice all the way to the base of the Clifton hill by Music Hall, i.e. three times farther then 4 years ago. I didn't go by the Gardens (Ducks arena) then, but I stayed near there, it wasn't so bad compared to what is between those two arenas. It looks like Beirut or Detroit!

The City of Dayton has lost 100,000 out of 260,000 population in the last 10 years or so. It was a real GM town with Delco and Frigidaire etc... Like Cincinnati, only the economic strength of the suburbs is holding the city together. But Cincinnati gets visitors from Northern Kentucky who don't have to go through the decayed areas to get to the Reds/Bengals/Cyclones games.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote