Thread: Larry Brooks: Torts is out of control
View Single Post
Old
02-14-2010, 09:32 AM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

vCash: 500
So seriously, after watching the Rangers-Nashville game on Wednesday, who do you think needs more work on discipline and self-control, the 19-year-old rookie defenseman who chirped at a referee, or the 51-year-old bus stop bully who berated the kid with fury in public view at the bench?

John Tortorella came about as close as possible to going Bobby Knight on Michael Del Zotto after the freshman’s unsportsmanlike conduct penalty helped put the Blueshirts in a hole from which they did not recover, even though they had 23:50 of hockey left to score a goal.

No one can convince me Tortorella was in control of himself at that moment, though a good five minutes had elapsed since Del Zotto was hit with a double minor the team almost killed. It looked as if the coach was going to take the young man's dinner money.

Had Tortorella done that, had he taken his dinner money, he would be gone. If Tortorella ever does anything like that, he will be gone. No team can have that, college or pro.

As a matter of full disclosure, Tortorella and I have not exchanged a word since Philadelphia. But I don’t need my mouth or ears to see. What I saw Wednesday was a lack of discipline similar to last year’s Game 5 water bottle incident in Washington, where rage replaced reason.

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote