View Single Post
Old
02-15-2010, 02:08 PM
CascadianHockeyFan

vCash: 500
Growing up in Fresno California, hockey is far from even popular. Falcon games were just something to do, get drunk and watch some fights. It was more of a sideshow act, than a sport kids wanted to actually play. Plus it's ultra expensive, a city of over 500,000 HAD 2 rinks at one point, but sold it and is now a moving storage center.

As a spectator sport, California is all over the place. San Jose always has good ticket sales, and LA and Anaheim can. Stockton has one of the best, if not the best attendance in the ECHL, and Bakersfield always brings in fans. Wouldn't know about Ontario, but I always heard San Diego pulled people in. Long beach was supposed to be an empty building, and rumors of Sacramento wanting a WCHL team always surfaced.

I live in Portland, OR now, and hockey isn't even of slight interest to most people, unless Seattles in town. Apparently, hockey WAS huge in Portland, until just a few years ago, but was hugely popular when the Buckaroo's were around. There is not a single sheet of ice in Portland City proper. Nearest rink is in Vancouver, WA, and there are sheets in western suburban towns Beaverton and Sherwood. Been looking into hockey in this region, and it is somewhat popular, considering there's 5 teams in the WHL from the Pac Northwest, and if you include Idaho steelheads and Eugene Generals, it is fairly popular, but looks like youth teams in this region don't get a whole lot of competition.

I can say this, hockey isn't really popular to play, but in smaller US towns without a college, and nothing else to do, a decent attraction to watch.

CascadianHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote